Friday, June 27, 2008

Red and delicious.

I just made apple puree to add into Edric's cereal this morning. When I look at the ripe, red fruit, I told myself that I did not give this fruit the appreciation it deserved. Other than being used as the name for one of the largest American multinational corporation, I didn't really know the benefits and the nutritions of it.

Why does the proverb say an apple a day keeps the doctor away? Research suggested that apples may reduce the risk of colon, prostate and lung cancers. It contains antioxidant and helps regulate bowel movement, though it relatively contains less vitamin C than the other fruits.

All that I know is this fruit is 'safe' for pregnant ladies and a sick child with flu and cough. Safe means it's not 'cold or too cooling' (for the chineselah).
It's great as a titbit when you are in a rush, a ready-to-go kinda fruit. It's yummy for a soup, tastes great in salads (green ones), scrumptious in pies and cakes, good for a baby, refreshing when juiced and makes a fine vinegar.

The apple tree comes from the same family as the rose. Do you know that the apple seeds are poisonous? Found out about it in Wikipedia. The seeds are only mildly toxic and not enough to be dangerous to human but the birds do stay away from them.

In Christianity, the apple tree has been labelled as the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. The whole of my life, that's what I thought. When I read further into the article, found out that, apple is the generic term for all foreign fruit in Greek and also means ' fruit ' in Old English.

The forbidden fruit in the Book of Genesis is not identified, yet the word apple has been used several times in it. The Renaissance painters also helped etched this fruit as the forbidden one in our minds as they added the elements of Greek mythology into the biblical scenes.

I love apple-picking season. Used to go to the apple farms with my housemates to pick the nice, juicy ones. Miss the sight, miss the smell, miss the feeling of total bliss when I saw the fruit-laden trees. Most of all I miss the friends I had fun with. :)

Don't really eat fruits everyday, which is bad. I don't really drink lots of water as recommended, which is even worse. I drink caffeine everyday, which is the worst. Sigh..I think I have to make a food resolution soon or my skin gonna go from bad to worst.

Anyhow, I just found a nice site out of sheer curiosity. Been searching for games that feature apples and I bumped into The Apple Season game by Orisinal. It's a straightforward game but addictive coz I just can't stop catching the falling apples!!!

http://www.ferryhalim.com/orisinal/g2/applegame.htm

Orisinal has a lot more online games to play. The toons are cute too; lovable creatures (ha!)... Have a go at it if you want to kill time once in a while... (By the way, I love the Bugs game. I'm just like the kid popping bubbles so I can see the ladybirds fly. Weeeee....feel like I'm 10 years old again playing this game.)
http://www.ferryhalim.com/orisinal/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Are girls really like apples? Hmm..some of them should not wait when the right guy passes by. She just have to fall from the tree and give the guy a knock on the head as the first hello...

2 comments:

queen quirin said...

hi there. can i guest that you are Olivia woo?

Livvy said...

Yup yup..it's me Quirin..