Sunday, March 8, 2009

Pokey needles...

I went for acupuncture for the first time of my life last Monday. Geezzz...got about 25 needles stuck on my right shoulder and back. It didn't hurt much. I actually enjoyed that session especially when heat was applied on my back and a mild electrical current was passed through the needles to relax my muscles. But the most excrutiating pain I felt was when the acupuncturist poke and twist a 21G needle ( equivalent of a toothprick) on 4 of my sore points, the neck, in between my vertebraes and my shoulder. 'Tiao Ching', that was what he told me and I can't find a word in English to explain it. My version of explanation - The needles was administered to sensitize my problematic nerves and ligaments so the pain can be alleviated once they are healed. Uhhhh...hope you can understand.
Almost couldn't turn my head to the right after the first session. Had a hard time for the first 2 days.

Second session on Thursday was just almost like the first. But this time I got more 'Tiao Ching' than I expected. Ended up having 6 plasters on my back. Sigh...Hope the pain is worth it.

No comments: