Sunday, June 14, 2009

New Bottles for kids

I finally got BPA-free bottles for Edric and Alden. When the first cautionary articles were published about the danger in the normal milk bottles, they caused a stir in my mind. I stopped boiling the milk bottles and merely emersing them in hot water for a while. I still got tonnes of the normal milk bottles and I don't want to waste them. So I changed the bottles every three months.
However, a documentary I saw in TV really shocked me. Those new, unboiled bottles do leaches out the endocrine-interrupting chemicals. A researcher has tested that the amount of BPA increases a lot more after the bottles where sterilized through boiling water 10 times.
Our drinking water may not be that safe too coz most of the plastic rubbish do tend to end up in the waters. Mayhap water-filtering and treatment could lessen the effect but mind you, we drink from plastic bottles too.
We are surrounded by plastic products. They are everywhere and I wonder what can I do to minimize the exposure to these chemicals. Go back to the basics, all things glass and stainless steel? That's gonna be difficult.
What do you think?

4 comments:

LCM said...

Breat feed the young guy. Retraining for the both of you.;)

Ceramic mug for Alden.

Use plastic containers labelled with a 5 in the triangle. This kind is considered the safer ones. What BPA-free bottles you got?

Livvy said...

Hi LCM...

I stopped breastfeeding Edric due to a health problem. With me taking pain-killers, I don't think I want to risk Edric into having any side effect from my medications.
I'm using PES bottles for them and yes, ceramic mug for Alden.
Do you think those aluminium sport bottle will be safer?

LCM said...

No, aluminium bottles are worse. I have stopped using aluminium due to health concerns. Discard all those containers, and if you have a wok made of aluminium, stop using it ASAP. http://www.alzheimer.ca/english/disease/causes-alumi.htm

Stainless steel is most recommended but it's costly and I think the design of stainless steel sport bottle is often not user-friendly enough, you know, for little kids.
PES is recommended to replace PC to avoid BPA.

If you buy stainless steel bottles that come with plastic caps, it's best to check the material it's made of too. I'm fussy, am I not?

I hope you find what you need.

Btw, here's a guide to plastic resin identification, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin_identification_code.

Livvy said...

Hi CM,

Thanks a lot for the additional info. Parts of my snoozing and ignorant brain is enlightened.
I should be more aware of these things from now onwards.
Thanks again dear friend...